“Get Healthy, Kansas!’ was a three year initiative beginning in the fall of 2012 sponsored by the Kansas Consumer Advisory Council for Adult Mental Health (CAC) and underwritten by a grant from SAMHSA to improve the overall health and longevity of mental health consumers in the state of Kansas. Statistics indicate that those with serious mental illness die on average 20-25 years sooner than people in the general population. The “Get Healthy, Kansas!” initiative seeks to reverse that trend by working through Consumer Run Organizations (CRO’s) and other mental health partners to educate and train consumers in various aspects of living a more healthy lifestyle.
The Stated Goals of the initiative are as follows:
- The CAC will promote awareness of the “Get Healthy, Kansas!” Project through connecting with existing
- partners and welcoming new relationships.
- Gain the training and infastructure necessary to disseminate information on The “Get Healthy, Kansas!” Project to mental health consumers, consumer run organizations and peer specialists.
- Hold a statewide “Get Healthy, Kansas!” Project Celebration.
- Directly involve the broadest possible base of consumer leadership, including diverse cultures across the state in our CROs – veterans, persons of color, Native Americans, trauma survivors, members of the gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered communities, transitional-aged youth, older adults and persons with experience in the criminal justice system, etc. – in the implementation and evaluation of the proposed activities.
There was a wrap up celebration for “Get Healthy, Kansas!” on August 13, 2015 at the Best Western Hotel in Park City from 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm. This will be a chance for all of the CROs in the state of Kansas to celebrate their accomplishments during the “Get Healthy, Kansas” program.
melissapatrickkansascacorgOr by phone at (316) 312-3479